Travel with me down memory lane to a time when the world was a little slower. We had landline telephones, handwritten notes, and no instant messaging.
One phone call I made back then led to an amusing and unexpected encounter. Little did I know that it would go on to play an important role in shaping my future.
__________________________________________________
In the final year of my BMS (Bachelor in Management Studies), we were required to undertake a project report as part of our curriculum. To gain practical exposure and collect material for my project, I joined an international office automation company at their Andheri office as a Management Trainee.
For a twenty-year-old, it felt like a dream. The company was among
the most reputed names in the industry. Their training on SSP (Selling Skills
Practice) methodology to their employees was considered of a highest mark in
the industry. I was assigned a project on Analog vs Digital and was
involved in promoting a multifunctional machine that was soon to be launched.
Life was hectic but exciting. I would attend college in the
morning, rush to work after lunch, and spend the rest of the day learning the
ropes of the corporate world. During that period, I made several friends at
work. One of them was Rajesh.
Rajesh had recently completed his MBA and was under tremendous
pressure to achieve his sales targets. Sometimes, in a half-serious,
half-joking manner, he would tell me, "If I don't get lucky soon with
sales, they'll throw me out."
Months passed. My project ended, I graduated from BMS, and it was
time to look for a full-time job.
I decided to try my luck with the same office automation company.
I knew their HR department was located at the Worli office, but in those
pre-Google days, finding a contact number wasn't as easy as it is today. So I
called Justdial from our home landline and requested the number.
Armed with my newly acquired contact, I dialled confidently,
expecting to reach a receptionist.
Instead, a man answered. "Hello"
That should have been my first clue. There weren't many male
receptionists in those days.
Without hesitation, and with the overconfidence that comes free
with being freshly out of college, I introduced myself and announced that I was
looking for the Head of HR.
The gentleman replied politely, "You've actually reached my
direct line. I can't transfer the call, but I'll give you the name and direct
number of the HR Head."
Before hanging up, curiosity got the better of me.
"May I know your name please?"
"Rajesh," he replied.
I almost jumped with excitement.
"Rajesh! It's me... Sharon!"
I launched into a nonstop stream of chatter.
I slipped effortlessly into my old self and began teasing him
without the slightest filter.
"I'm glad they didn't fire you! So, you finally got the
business, right?".
"Yes," he replied. "It's been more than ten years
now. I guess I'm quite settled here."
We continued talking. He asked about my studies, the project I had
completed, and what I was doing after graduation. Meanwhile, I kept wondering
why Rajesh suddenly sounded so mature and composed.
The unstoppable me even blurted “You are acting uncomfortably
mature.”
Finally, he said, "Sharon, why don't you come for an
interview tomorrow?"
I was thrilled.
"Oh wow! You'll arrange a meeting with HR for me? Thank you
so much!"
I hung up feeling extremely pleased with myself.
As I excitedly narrated the entire conversation to my mother, one
particular line suddenly returned to me.
"It's been more than ten years now."
Ten years?
That didn't make sense.
As Rajesh was only a few years older than me. So 10 yrs of work experience? What exactly had he
meant?
Before my mother could react and question my actions, the hyper me
sprang onto the sofa, grabbed the receiver, and redialled the number.
The same gentleman answered.
"Sorry to disturb you again," I said cautiously.
"You are Rajesh from the Andheri office, the one who worked in the
so-and-so department when I was a Management Trainee there... right?"
There was a brief pause.
Suddenly, I wasn't quite as confident as I had been a few moments
earlier
Then he laughed.
"No, Sharon. I am not that Rajesh."
I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me.
Apparently, I had spent a considerable amount of time
enthusiastically chatting away to a complete stranger—someone who was, in fact,
far too senior in the organisation for me to be wasting his valuable time with
my senseless banter. The only reason I had mistaken him for my former colleague
was because he happened to share the same first name. Yet, instead of
interrupting me or putting an abrupt end to the conversation, he was humble
enough to patiently listen. He laughed along and humoured an overexcited young
graduate who had absolutely no idea whom she was actually speaking to.
Then he said something I have never forgotten.
"I didn't want to interrupt your excitement. And anyway, why
don't you come for an interview tomorrow?"
I did.
The interview went well.
And that is how I got my first job.
A job that ultimately carved the path for my entire career.
A phone call that should never have happened.
Yet somehow, it became one of the most important conversations of
my life.
Sometimes destiny doesn't arrive with grand announcements.
Sometimes it simply answers the phone and says, "Hello."
Very very interesting
ReplyDeleteYes, sometimes destiny arrives with a simple hello.
ReplyDeleteNice one,
ReplyDelete